Thursday, November 10, 2011

Sacrifice a Part of True Success

How can you sacrifice your life to the Lord while obtaining success in your career?

PBA's American Free Enterprise Day on Monday answered this controversial question.  I had been hearing both positive and negative remarks about the system that the day represented.  Also, since I was involved in the ceremony, friends and family have asked my opinion about the event.  As a freshman last year, I didn't take AFE sincerely, and simply associated it with the politics of business.  This year, I truly resonated with the event because of this year's medalist, Mr. H. Wayne Huizenga Jr.

It is evident that all of AFE's medalists have proven validity of the American Free Enterprise system with their successes.  However, more importantly, they have shown validity of the light of Christ living in them and shining in their careers through sacrifice.  Mr. Huizenga Jr. spoke about how he "allowed Christ to live through [him]," literally looking past the money to see God, in a story he shared that day.  Mr. Huizenga challenged the crowd, especially the students, to utilize their platform of power to share God with those who may not know Him otherwise.  Additionally, he urged us to use our talents bestowed from God to serve those around us, and offer our gifts back to our Creator.

As I was listening to this speech, I was fondly reminded of a role model in my life, my dad.  My father is a successful businessman. As I grew up and he grew in power, I never saw him blinded by wealth or status.  My father made an effort to put others first, whether it be his family or employees, and to serve God as he was promoted in positions.  As students preparing for the workforce, we are easily blinded by our needs for success.  Self interest isn't bad until it turns in to selfishness, causing us to lose sight of the greatness of sacrificing our life back up to God.

Whether or not you agree with the politics involved with American Free Enterprise Day, I hope that it is clear that AFE has taught that success without sacrifice has no validity.

Here is a video from Mr. Huizenga with the nonprofit "I Am Second," which his speech mirrored on Monday.

3 comments:

  1. I think it is true that when people climb the ladder and strive for success, they should not forget the people that helped them along the way. Equally true I feel, is that once you have become successful that you not become so absorbed by things such as wealth and pride that you forget what got you there in the first place. However, by maintaining a sense of humility and through serving others through your position, you can begin to give back to others some of the many blessings and good fortune that one has recieved in thier life by virtue of being successful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Matt. :)
    I think we're both on the same page understanding true success! In which ways do you see others giving back?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting blog post, Katie. It's good to see such humility in a society where it is often overlooked. Best wishes on the rest of the blogging!

    ReplyDelete