Friday, November 18, 2011

'Major' Road Work Ahead

When I picture choosing a major for a degree, I see it as driving down the road of life. 

We often have a path envisioned in our minds that is smoothly paved for the ride ahead.  However, the potholes and bumps of difficulties in life can make the journey an off-road adventure.  As much as we hate construction work on major roads, we also often have trouble accepting the necessary time to fix issues.  And, picking the right vehicle is also important.  Palm Beach Atlantic University is the vehicle that I have chosen to navigate my career path. 

This week, I attended a career seminar offered by PBA’s Student Success office.  I had recently felt like I had lost control of the wheel, with the semester ending quickly and having no final destination.  However, the seminar was helpful in affirming my decision on a major, and potential career options. 

When I first decided to come to PBA, I was unsure of what major to choose -- a roadblock.  Initially, I thought Nutrition would be a possibility in order to fulfill my goal of helping others. Except, I didn’t have a passion for science.  I took a detour toward a major in Communication, which was inspired by a social media project I was involved with in high school. 
Nonetheless, here I am, nearly midway through my sophomore year reaching another roadblock.  Much to my dismay, even completing a minor with my Communication major would leave me a semester short of the credits required to reach the finish line at PBA and graduate my senior year.  With no desire to take electives senior year, I am filling up the tank and plan to double major in Communication and English.  This is a perfect route to take because English is one of my passions.  Beginning next semester, I will begin to test drive the English courses on the road to my majors.

What kinds of "major" road work are you encountering?

No comments:

Post a Comment