Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Moving Market of Mediums

 

As I waited for my friend in her dorm, I decided to find out what's happening in the news.  I was going to look at a news website on the Internet when I saw on her table a print edition of USA Today, which is available on campus.  My thoughts turned to deciding which medium of news would be most interesting and informational to me -- online or print. 
It had been a while since I actually picked up a newspaper, so I glanced at the pages for a few minutes. It wasn’t long before I became bored with the tiny print and grey paper, and began searching the online edition instead. 
My favorite aspect of reading news online is that I can tweak it to provide specific information that pertains only to my interests.  Though, a consequence of this method is readers might miss valuable information, and not expand their interests.      
Internet editions of newpapers are popular for its ability to provide updated news anytime, whereas most print editions get one shot a day for the best information. 
Print edition of USA Today
What is more, basic news online doesn’t cost a dime for readers, and print newspapers require subscriptions or a couple quarters at the newsstand.
Growing up, I went to television the most as a source for news. It’s no wonder my brain is used to gathering news through quick and easy methods, which can be found abundantly on the Internet. With the advent of Facebook and Twitter, it’s even more popular to get news online.  My most recent channel of news has come from friends who share links to stories on websites.  I also have a “Pulse” app on my phone that brings news to me anytime, anywhere.

Does the freshness of a newspaper's website oust the print edition's relevance?

No comments:

Post a Comment