Monday, June 25, 2012

Straying Away from Summer's Stormy Showers


Rainy day at the beach.
 At times in the summer it seems like, Florida, "The Sunshine State" becomes "The Shower State."  Last week I was wondering what was up with all of the extensive rain, and then the TV news introduced me to Tropical Storm Debby, moving towards the Florida's Gulf Coast, causing rain across the state.  As much as some people find the storms to be dark and dreary, I've actually become acquainted to their calming and soothing aspects.  

With the threat of tropical storms, hurricanes, or even 15-minute afternoon showers this time of year, it's inevitable my trusty tote umbrella will be in my purse.  However, when the thunder is loud enough to keep me cooped up indoors, sometimes it seems like the only thing to do is clean out my closet!
  
With two year's worth of college memories at PBA bundled up in boxes, I began to sort through my favorite cards, letters and photos and place them into scrapbooks, albums and frames.  And, it's a bonus that my closet shelves are getting cleaned out!  But, I happened to create more of a mess than I already had in my room with paper, gel pens and glitter for writing letters to friends from out-of-state. Oh well. 

Nutella cookies for a rainy day.
The best thing about staying indoors is getting stuck in the kitchen.  I'm not an avid cook, but I do enjoy baking, especially when I get the recipes correct.  This past weekend I successfully made a pan of sweet cornbread for my family and rich Nutella cookies for my boyfriend.  Then, with some sweets and a cup of tea in hand, I snuggled up to my pillow with books, my latest fix, "The Hunger Games" series. Though, the rainy weather eventually lured me to sleep, a good excuse to take a nap, which is every working college student's dream!

What fun ideas or activities do you have for spending time without the sun and staying dry inside?

No comments:

Post a Comment