Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Exercising, Healthy Thoughts During the Summer


Sometimes it's difficult to find the motivation to exercise, which when done properly is beneficial for a healthy lifestyle. During the school year, it was difficult for me to find time to hit the gym, go for a run or swim. Since summertime allows more time for myself, I decided to make exercising a part of my weekly routine.

I recently began going to the workout classes PBA offers during the summer, including Core Crunch, Zumba, and Pilates, held in the Greene Athletic Complex studio. Being in the studio the other day reminded me of my ballet classes when I was younger. I would go to the dance studio every night for ballet class, watching my movement in the mirror and drawing circles in the hardwood floor.

I am also an avid fan of outdoor exercise, like biking, which I've enjoyed since I was a kid. I have vivid memories of living up north, biking with brisk wind hitting my knuckles as I gripped the handles. Those times have inspired me to keep my body in shape, even when it's easier to sit on the couch.

PBA's Greene Athletic Complex
Though, I'd have to say the absolute best way for me to workout has been swimming. I swam consistently from age 9 until my senior year when I was captain of my high school team. Being an athlete and exercising in general, not only pushed me physically, but mentally.

The amount of physical agility it takes to perform at your best does not compare to the amount of mental exertion it takes to have a positive attitude about your performance. For example, my senior year in high school during finals I performed poorly in my races. It was hard to not have a negative attitude. I eventually realized that if I let my competitive spirit get the best of me, swimming would lose it's meaning in my life.

I'm not going to lie, sometimes I workout when I'm upset or stressed. Usually if I can push through the workout, I can push through the stress. Unfortunately, I have seen how it's easy for exercise to turn into harmful habits hurting your body. I know people, and my friends know people, who abuse exercising to the point that it interferes with the perception his or her body image.  Without exercising properly, many are not only at risk to a strained muscle, but a strained life.

Overall, exercise is a good method to find time to pray, meditate, or just to get your spirits up. What inspires you to exercise?

No comments:

Post a Comment