Friday, January 27, 2012

Setting 'Anchor' at PBA

Ever wonder what that incessant pounding above the caf is as you’re eating dinner Thursday nights? It's an "Anchor" that will keep you grounded.
The Anchor is a student led, weekly worship ministry at PBA.
As I stepped into “upstairs Weyenberg,” above the caf this past Thursday night, I knew where my heart would be traveling.  I was immediately greeted at the door by students serving on the Anchor, a student led, weekly worship ministry for PBA students looking for a time and place to wind down, or to be energized. 
One of the main guys serving on the Anchor team, Daniel, introduced himself to my friend and me.  Daniel personally recruited my friend to come back to the Anchor next week, encouraging her to share her testimony, after sharing his with us briefly.  The way that Daniel was able to share his testimony so openly and freely demonstrates how the Anchor is a place of honesty and freeness. 
Not only do powerful worship songs blast from the voices of humble students leading simple praise and worship, but words of wisdom are spoken true through passages of psalms and the gospel. Even better, one of the unique parts of the Anchor, “Detox,” is like a "half-time" between worship to talk about burdens or praises and pray in small groups.  Honestly, as a busy college student, this is my choice opportunity to find community with others.  Even though the Anchor is a public student activity, it is private in the sense you are able to show emotion and be honest with each other, and God.
I remember the first night I went to the Anchor my freshman year, and one of the songs they played is the one I recorded below, “How He Loves.”  Being at the Anchor and hearing this song held a lot of meaning, coming into a new community searching relentlessly for love and acceptance.  This particular song, along with many others, resonated with me so much and even more so now because instead of tears of pain I shed last year, I now shed tear drops of joy. 
The way that the Anchor demonstrates how any place, such as upstairs Weyenberg, can be transformed into a place of worship and reverence is exemplary of how you can find an anchor anywhere in God.
Have you ever attended the Anchor?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment