Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Season of the Spirit

Christmas Tree in Cityplace
Christmas in West Palm Beach and at PBA truly helps one find joy in the season. 

Just steps away from campus, there is a Christmas tree more than 40-feet tall with thousands of twinkling lights in the heart of CityPlace, a shopping and entertainment center.  Plus, by the tree you can even see "snow" falling from the palm trees, scheduled on the hour.  Just last Saturday was the Palm Beach holiday boat parade of lights, where boats of all sizes traveled along the Intracoastal.  This week at PBA, everyone has been decorating Christmas trees, baking cookies for parties and buying presents for secret Santa games. 

Speaking of snow, when I was a child living up north, I remember throwing pieces of cotton around the family room if we didn't have a white Christmas.  I thought it would make Santa more jolly coming to our house!  However, once I grew older, my view of the Christmas became challenged.  Since that time, I became the scrooge of my family when the Christmas season came around.  I thought Christmas music was cheesy.  I banned the color red from my wardrobe.  I would go through the motions at festivities.  Additionally, even with attending all of these wonderful Christmas activities in West Palm and at PBA this semester, the spirit in my heart had still been lacking. 

I found a rekindling of Christmas not only by reminiscing for this blog entry, but also by reaching a breaking point in my life this week.  The meaning of Christmas reignites the spirit again when it's finally shattered in to tiny, little pieces.  After I had listened to some Christian music for encouragement, I faced my anti-holiday feelings by listening to more Christmas music.  As my holiday Pandora station played "Christmas Cannon" by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, I found in my heart "The joy that He brings."  The song lyrics are vague, but it relates to having the spirit of a child in Christmas, such as I did before.  Most importantly, this Christmas spirit  parallels with having the faith of a child in loving Christ.

I hope you also recieve a renewed sense of spirit in both Christmas and Christ the Lord during this holiday season. See you in 2012!


No comments:

Post a Comment