Thursday, October 6, 2011

Not Just Another Campus Club



Leadership exercises/Photo by Tai Cornell
 
I was recently asked in comment on a previous blog entry about activities I’m involved with on campus.  Last semester, I took on the role as an assistant for Impact Leadership Team (ILT). For those who are not familiar with ILT, our goal is to become servant leaders on campus for Christ.  However, I didn’t realize until the end of last semester, there's more to ILT than fun, games and questions.

What stood out to me was the great variety of students chosen to become assistants for the semester. Typically, a club is composed of a group of like-minded people.  That is not the case for ILT. Rather, it is a team composed of a wide variety of leadership styles and opinions.

A positive aspect of recruiting students of various personalities is it brings a large amount of students to our club. However, since ILT acknowledges all different styles of leadership, it's sometimes difficult for the group to agree.  For instance, last semester members claimed they felt left out of the group if the group thought their views were too different.  Ultimately, we made a goal to ensure ILT created a community, which could reach out to all corners and depths of campus. Overall, our differences are what accomplished this task, and set us apart from other clubs.
 
I can honestly say I have become very close friends with peers in ILT, which I wouldn’t have come across in my normal social surroundings, due to different schedules or interests. Not only have the music genres on my iTunes playlist expanded, but so has my heart.  I have been led to Christ stronger through this club, better known as my second family, or as we call it "Ohana."  The very differences that initially kept us apart have helped us challenge or develop our own opinions, and wound up bringing the group together. Good practice for the “real world” after college.
Canoeing trip/Photo by Tai Cornell
If you are interested in Impact Leadership Team, you can meet with us Tuesdays at 11:15 a.m., or Wednesdays at 4 p.m.: pick the day that fits your schedule.  E-mail us at Impact_Leadership_Team@pba.edu to know where we're meeting. 

E-mail us as well about upcoming events, including “Junkbox Wars” this Saturday where we will race cardboard box boats in Towers pool and “Little Smiles” the following Saturday to help out at a fair for terminally ill children, as well as a camping trip in November.

No comments:

Post a Comment