Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Apple Inc. and You



 
With the recent Oct. 5 death of one of Apple Inc.'s cofounders, Steve Jobs, there has been increased awareness and publicity of the American corporation.   As seen in the video above, my interviewees, PBA students Michael and Chris, believe that Apple is dominating the world of consumer electronics.  The symbol and brand awareness is described by one student as “revolutionary.”  The “Apple” symbol is one of the most recognized and persuasive icons in the marketing world. 

Steve Jobs
I also decided to ask two of my professors their opinions of the brand after several situations involving Apple technology in the classroom.  For instance, Dr. Chapman, my Humanities professor, played the 1812 overture by Tchaikovsky on iTunes, but then criticized how iTunes selected the song that would play next, against his will, which he felt disrupted the class.  In a sense, he was talking about how these products seem to think for you.  We also talked about how Steve Jobs had always led a private life, which is ironic because his creations provided the medium for social media use, allowing users to spread personal information with great ease.  
My interest in asking Dr. Wainer, my Mass Media professor was due to his practical approach to Apple products.  His proud possession of an iPhone and MacBook demonstrates how Apple has affected every generation with its quality and simplistic design.   He described Jobs’ private life as a secretive part of his marketing plan of “pulling products out of his hat” leaving the audience with this “magical” aurora, and a new favorite toy.
I am not an avid Apple user because of my loyal PC family.  I feel behind the times when asked to use a friend’s MacBook, and have difficultly navigating it compared to my Acer netbook.  Even though I finally received an iTouch for my birthday last year, I decided against the iPhone this year, and opted for Google’s Android.  
However, problems occur as both a Windows and Apple user.  I was attempting to edit the video for this blog entry on a PC in my work office. The video camera file is an MP4, which isn’t compatible with Windows Movie Maker.  If I owned a MacBook computer, I wouldn’t have this issue as MP4 is compatible with editing products of Apple, like QuickTime. Overall, I believe the need for Apple products is determined by the sole purpose of the use of its software and programs.
What do you think?



2 comments:

  1. I have an Iphone, but use PCs mostly for work. Most are like good, steady Fords or Chevys. They get you where you need to go, eventually. ... My wife has a large-screen, desktop Mac. Now that's a Rolls-Royce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mac vs. PC is such a cultural thing now. Apple products definitely have set a standard for consumer electronics. I just like PC because I grew up with it, I don't think I learned how to use a Mac computer until I was a junior in high school, whereas, I worked a PC probably around 4th grade.

    ReplyDelete