Friday, February 24, 2012

My Day as an Ambassador for 'Women of Distinction'

The PBA event “Women of Distinction” not only has a lovely title, but a lovely purpose. I had the opportunity to attend this event Wednesday through the Presidential Ambassador Program at PBA. Ambassadors are nominated by a PBA staff or faculty member, and represent the study body at important University functions.  Not many students here are aware of this impressive annual awards luncheon at The Breakers in Palm Beach. It was a gorgeous warm, sunny day, and I had permission to "play hooky" from school to witness the event.
Debbie Levinsky and I take a minute before the awards luncheon to capture a photo of The Breakers scenery.
As an ambassador, my duties for the morning included greeting guests and assisting at the place card table.  Other than that, the day was pretty low key for the students working the event.  However, the amount of work, time and dedication of the University staff was clear by how smoothly the program progressed. After a greeting from PBA Interim President Fleming, the humble recipients of the Women of Distinction Scholarship, two PBA seniors, led the invocation.  Moreover, my taste buds were flowering after a delicious lunch of breaded chicken with a savory vegetable sauce, sweet tomato vinaigrette salad and a chocolate sailfish fin atop a strawberry and blueberry pound cake.

The two “Women of Distinction” awarded were Joyce Sang and Sally Soter.  These women have provided such a great service to the community.  When Mrs. Sang’s 24-year-old son died as a result of his bipolar disorder, she created the “The Ryan Licht Sang Bipolar Foundation” to help suffering families. According to PBA.edu the foundation “established an educational initiative…that teaches high school students, parents and teachers to recognize bipolar disorder and depression [and] in August, the foundation brought this program to schools in Palm Beach County.” In addition, the other honoree, Mrs. Soter, has worked tirelessly to promote the arts, where she “established an endowment of photography, which supports special exhibitions, scholarship opportunities and educational programs at The Norton,” according to PBA.edu. Her second goal has been providing better heart health coverage to women, where she created the “first fully endowed chair exclusively for the purpose of women’s heart health in the United States,” stated on PBA.edu.

One part of Mrs. Sang’s speech I especially admired was she suggested all women in the room are women of distinction. This is inspiring as a college student. It is one of my aspirations to work in a way that serves the community, no matter what career path I take.  I could see how beyond all of the glamour of the event, there brightly shone the theme of women working to serve the community.

There have been many women in my life who have been examples of women of distinction.  When I moved to Florida in middle school I found a church where I was blessed to have such a wonderful youth minister who directed the middle school and high school youth group.  From my adolescent age to my adult years, my youth minister served me unwaveringly. Whether I needed a shoulder to cry on or a head to guide my spiritual journey, she was there making a difference in my life. I would name her, along with many other role models in life, as Mrs. Sang stated, “Women of Distinction,” in their own shinning way.

No comments:

Post a Comment