Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My Summer Job at Chick-fil-A

Famous Chick-fil-A logo
When you come to Florida, what's the one restaurant you usually become well acquainted with? With more than 150 Chick-fil-A quick-service stores in Florida – third most in the country – it's not difficult to understand why there are four locations within driving distance of where I live.  There's even an express Chick-fil-A right on campus at PBA!

This summer, I had the opportunity to get a closer look at the phenomenon Chick-fil-A has created. Last spring at PBA's Career Fair hosted by the Office of Career Development, I was hired by a Chick-fil-A store for the summer. Throughout my years at PBA, I have known many people who worked with the company and loved the environment.

This made me extremely encouraged when I was about to move from my office job in the Development Office at PBA to the fast-paced environment at Chick-fil-A. Not to mention, PBA students are extremely appreciative for the competitive hourly rate set for PBA students, graciously given at to those working at the Palm Beach Lakes and Okeechobee-Turnpike locations.

PBA Students Chris Collier and Alyssa Osbron at Cow Appreciation Day
Chick-fil-A is almost like a culture, especially for students at PBA. For example, on “Cow Appreciation Day” customers who dress from “head to hoof” as a cow, which is the restaurant's mascot, receive a free meal. My friends from PBA made sure to visit me at work on that day!

The best thing about working at Chick-fil-A isn't that I receive a free meal on the days that I work (although that is amazing), it's being able to work with other students and creating a bond. Whether it's during a slow moment filling up the freshly squeezed lemonade or during an absolutely packed lunch rush on the register, Chick-fil-A has created a team for me to work with and rely on.

Chick-fil-A has also provided me with an outstanding work ethic and job training. There is a lot more behind the “It's my pleasure” phrase used; it shows the respect and happiness that we give each customer during their experience at Chick-fil-A. Also, as employees we better understand the value of a dollar, especially when used for prepping and serving food.

Overall, it has been a blessing working at Chick-fil-A this summer!   What kind of fun jobs have you had for the summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment