Friday, May 11, 2012

Knowing President Fleming Through 'Development'


President Fleming signs the hat of a new PBA student during Welcome Week '11 fesitvities.
 
Mr. William M.B. Fleming, Jr., Palm Beach Atlantic University's newly selected president, is the epitome of “development” here at PBA. As many of you know, President Fleming was interim president for more than a year before being selected this week as eighth president by PBA's Board of Trustees at the recommendation of the presidential search committee. However, I came to know President Fleming through his other service position at PBA.

I met him my freshman year when I got accepted as a work-study student in PBA's Development Office in Sachs Hall. In addition to taking on the role of interim president during the past year, he was also vice president of development, for many years. Working in the department, I not only had the wonderful opportunity to introduce myself to President Fleming, but he got to know me personally, as he does with many PBA students. Working with him for two years, and experiencing how smoothly the office ran with him as vice president, gives me great confidence in his tenure as president.

Additionally, as interim president, I have seen President Fleming's interest in the school skyrocket. Outside of being a student taking classes and working at PBA, I am involved with several student organizations as well. It has definitely been a great college experience seeing President Fleming meet and engage with my fellow peers throughout the year.

For instance, this semester he came to several “end of the year” student meetings.   At my weekly Impact Leadership Team (ILT) meeting, President Fleming observed our entire meeting and then was introduced, individually, to the 12 assistants and six interns for ILT.  I also heard that he did the same for this year's Welcome Week Steering Committee, which is in charge of introducing this fall's freshmen to PBA through Welcome Week. Also, as I am involved with the PBA Ambassador’s program, I saw President Fleming at this end of the year meeting, as well.   He not only already knew the majority of the 14 ambassadors by name, but also unique facts about their lives, providing many laughs and surprises.

Overall, throughout this year President Fleming has already demonstrated to me and other students his care and concern for bettering the purpose of the school – its students' education, environment, and overall development.  Congratulations to President Fleming, and congratulations to Palm Beach Atlantic University.

What has been your experience when interacting with President Fleming?

No comments:

Post a Comment